Tuesday 31 May 2011

Aims for next season

Matt Kilgallon
What we should be aiming for and what I expect are similar for next season, unlike previous years. I was ecstatic with 10th position this year, not just the way we did it (on the last day and finishing above the mags), but just because everyone had seemed to have written us off when we went on that hideous run. I was quietly confident. Next season I'd like to have a similar season, but without the bad run of form. Obviously we need to show signs of progression, so I'd be over the moon with a few good, key signings to bolster the squad and another top 10 finish. I still think it's too early to think about European football, we've not got the experience and depth to handle it yet, and we don't want the distraction of extra competitions to spoil our league progress. Fulham are a good example of that. As I blogged a bit further down, I think we need a minimum of 8 players to show signs of the progression I'm talking about, we need a lot more strength in depth. Normally players such as Colback wouldn't be getting a game, however that said, I've been very impressed by the lad, he's proved me wrong totally. Players such as Riveros, Angeleri, Healy, Nosworthy, McCartney and Matt Kilgallon need to be moved on in order to free up funds for the incoming player's wages. Bruce has done a good job of getting rid of deadwood so far, although that doesn't count for a lot when signs deadwood himself (see Riveros, Angeleri and Kilgallon). I say deadwood, but they've never really been given the chance; Angeleri may be a crock but why sign him if that's the case? Is this another sign that Bruce doesn't listen to medical advice? Matt Kilgallon hasn't been given a chance either, he was only brought in as back up but it's still an insult to him to be signed and then loaned out a few months later. He played well against Hull a couple of year back, to play in a Sunderland team that wins away from home is an achievement in itself! Anyway, digressing again (I do that a lot), the main aim for next season for me is; to finish slightly higher in the league and more comfortably, bolster the squad with 8+ key signings, and is it too much to ask for a derby win? Unfortunately probably, I really can't see a Bruce team winning a derby game. Prove me wrong, Steve.

No comments:

Post a Comment